Duck Breast with Cherry Ginger Sauce
Sour Cherries (57g)
Duck gloss (82g)
Golden beet (180g)
Making Duck Breast with Cherry Ginger Sauce
- First we are going to Preheat your oven at 280F
- Grab a sharp knife and cut in half the beets then slices and diced it
- Take a pot and place beets in the water with thyme
- Over high heat bring to a boil and cook until a knife or fork can go through
- Using a knife minced your ginger, you can even leave the skin on set a side
- Grab a pan and add your duck gloss and sour cherries and minced ginger
- Over high heat boil for 5 mins
- Put in blender (Vitamix)
- Pour back into pan and have it at a simmer or if it’s not thick reduce it a little more
- In the meantime grab a skillet and preheat it
- Add heaps of olive oil to the pan
- Lay down the fat side of the duck and render the fat
- Put on a rack and cook the duck for 30 mins
- In the meantime, using your cutting board dice your onion and rip into piece your kale
- Once the 30 mins is up for the duck pull out and let it rest
- Preheat oven at 435F
- Grab a Skillet and preheat it
- Add Olive oil
- Pour in your onions and sweat it
- Now add in half your beet juice and strain the rest
- Put the beets in the skillet then the kale, cook until kale wilts
- When kale is in the skillet flash your duck for a 1 min and slice it
- Plate Food
Why do you cook Duck at such a temp?
It’s because you want to bring the temp up slowly. If you have it high temperatures you will have your duck overcooked on the edges and only the middle will be medium rare .( Click here) I show with images all sizes of tenderloin and they are all the same temp cooked in the oven at the same time.
When rendering duck why you add heaps of olive oil?
So it doesn’t burn, and the fat that is melting off cools it down. The more duck breasts you have the more efficient it is. Like shallow poaching in olive oil or pan frying.
I don’t like ginger in chunks
Just get powder ginger or don’t use it at all, up to you
I don’t have duck gloss and I don’t know what the heck that is!
It is duck stock that has been reduced to the point it will start to burn filled with incredible flavor, very rich.
Can I use something else other then duck gloss
Use Chicken broth or base instead if you don’t want to spend 3 hours reducing stock
Doing this for 25 to 1000 people
The Process is the same bigger pans and pots
- The only thing you should think about is adding olive oil to a sheet pan and seasoning it with salt
- Lay down your duck and coat with olive oil and season it
- Cooking the cook for the 1000 people in a tilt skillet and the fat will render from all the duck allow to get the perfect season and maximizing all the fat off the duck.