Fried chicken with Summer Pickles in Sticky Buns
Summer Pickles Medley
Rainbow Carrots 4 7/8oz (140g)5 ea
Fennel 9 1/8oz (261g) 1 Bulb
Red Onions 6oz (170g) 1 whole
Apricot 2.302oz (65.24g)1 Ea
Coconut 15 1/2oz (440g) 1 3/4 cups
Sugar 2 1/3oz (66g)
Salt 1/3 (10g)
Fried Chicken blend
Fresh Oregano 1/8oz (5g) 4 long stems
Fresh Basil 0.073oz (2.05g) 2 leaves
Onion Powder 0.169oz (4.76g)
Chili Powder 1/8oz (4g)
Milk 4 3/4oz (138g) 1 cup
Eggs 2 ea
Salt 2 Tbsp’s
Mayo( Click here) for recipe
Yuzu Juice 1oz (30g) 2 Tbsp
Garlic 1 Clove
Dark (optional) To Taste
Mustard (optional) 1 Tbsp
Use olive oil instead of avocado oil
You can use Sriracha, instead of the Yuzi juice if you like
Folded Buns (sticky buns)
Lettuce 1 Small Head
Heirloom Cherry Tomato 6ea
So for starters I did this at work, and I got killed had a massive line that was uncontrollable. At that point I decided to give you guys the same treatment, and I am sure you guys would wonder what my work serves.
First, we are going to set up for the day before, if you want better flavor and want our pickles done right by being broken down a little not boiled hot water over them.
Making the Summer Pickling medley
First, grab yourself a pot of water and you are going to blanch your apricot skin. You don’t want this because it’s going to be gritty and also turn brown and that distasteful for an apricot. Something different about this step is, you are not going to blanch and put in ice water, that’s such a school thing… ruins the product and if you are doing heaps of them (specially for tomatoes…)
To achieve the exact same thing without the ice bath your going to put in for 5 to 10 seconds, just to break the skin.
Once you have blanch the apricot in the water your going to peel it with your fingers or if you are following my video then using a knife ( if you feel comfortable.)
- Slice the apricot in half, then cut into slivers
- First measure out the coconut vinegar, salt and sugar
- Mix with a whisk until salt and sugar is dissolved
- Slice the top and bottom of the fennel
- Use a mandoline for thin slices
- Peel and cut your carrots on a bias
- Place in pickling liquid in a container and wait for the following day
(Optional) For people with lack of time
If you are very unpatience or just plain busy
Bring your pickling liquid to scotching point, which is with by the naked eye when you start to see the water/ liquid releasing steaming ( vaporing) and the temperature for that is 170F (77C)
Then pour the liquid on top of your medley.
Getting ready for your fried chicken
- Measure all your dried spices
- Chop your herbs ( if you only have dry, double the recipe for the basil and etc instead of 1 tsp turn into 2 tsp for dry.
- Crack your eggs into the bowl, then whisk that first until all the spices are not clumpy ( pockets)
- Slowly add your milk
- Cut your chicken to bite size pieces to fit into a fold bun (sticky bun)
- Place chicken in the liquid, cover with plastic wrap
- Wait until tomorrow
- If you don’t have time, it can still work, just less flavor ( I warned you…)
(Optional) for Lactose intolerant people
If you are lactose intolerant, just use rice milk or almond milk, but really I would suggest the rice milk, since it’s more subtle in flavor compared to almond milk.
For the Yuzu Mayo
You can use my recipe (click here) if you don’t have avocado oil, just use olive oil.
I know you won’t find or have black garlic ( fermented garlic) I just didn’t have garlic in the fridge so I used black garlic (sorry about that) If you still want the color use dark muscovado sugar ( close enough… right =P)
The extra goods
- Shred leafy green lettuce
- Dice your tomatoes
Frying your your chicken
If this is your first time frying at home (click here)
Otherwise I explain in my video anyways, to be safe.
- Preheat your oven at 170F
- Heat your coconut oil to 390F
- In the meantime put your flour in bowl
- Grab a 2 sheet pans
- Use your left hand for a wet hand and your right for a dry hand
- Get excess of the liquid back in the bowl and place in the flour you used.
- Coat the chicken all the way around with flour and shake it off and place on your sheet pan, until ready to fry.
- Those of you that don’t have a surface thermometer or a normal thermometer, just have your stove a little passed the medium heat ( please don’t walk away from the stove ) unlike me =p
- From the tip of the chicken where your holding, you are going to slowly add the chicken like you are doing when check if the bath is too hot.
- With a spoon or fish spatula, just move the chicken off the pan, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- once cooked and a nice golden brown, place in the oven if you are doing heaps, or still needing to do the sticky buns
(Optional) Gluten free people
To not make this flour and I wanted to do this, but didn’t have Rice flour at home ( sorry about that..) Just use rice flour or Brown rice flour ( healthier anyway) and you’ll be solid! or you can use Corn starch and if you want to go the weird route like myself this bean Sorghum pretty nifty if done right with some red beet powder.
Steam your buns and plate up
Pull everything out and have ready while the chicken is frying, then once that has happened
- With Your container that you picked underneath
- Coat with olive oil with your hands, so it doesn’t stick
- place your buns in there until soft, since frozen ( Most likely)
- Plate your food
For steaming at home and using the right containers
This part is super easy and you’ll have this done in 10 mins if you want this too
Ok I am sure you are wondering how on earth are you going to steam those buns, simple! I explain the video, but of course i’ll explain here too.
You can use a colander made out of stainless steel
A deep Glad round container
Put holes in it and use the lid to make it soft.
Now I wouldn’t suggest this method personally unless I have no choice, but if you are using a gas stove, don’t do this, you’ll melt the plastic and you’ll most likely be upset that you now have a punctured and ruined a container and to follow that up your significant other or friends will say ” What happen to that? is that part of your brillant plan?” But Hey I warned you.
The tower of foil
- Wrap over the pot
- with a knife put holes all around the foil
- using a tall lid or kitchen aid bowl with handle or just a simple metal Bowl
Also wouldn’t really suggest this either, because the chance of you burning yourself has just increased, did I mention dramatically? =P
Also you can only put really 2 or 1 base on the bun will or can break the through the foil, since it’s so weak from all those bloody holes you put in the foil…
If your have any questions please leave a comment below
Question for you
What kind container would you mostly use at home, for streaming? If you have a way you do it and I haven’t listed it please free to mention it.