Gluten-free Pasta (292g)
Cipollini onion (47g) 1 ea
Crimini mushrooms (291g) 14ea
Okra (86g) 4ea
Black cardamon long pepper (78g )
Corn (227g) 1 Cobb
Coconut milk 1 can
Goat horn peppers (231g) 2 ea
Macadamia nut (79g) 1/2 cup
I have to let this out now… I can’t stand lasagna…. I grew up having pasta way too much I only did this to help my friend with different pasta styles. I mean jeez, I was just at my parents house couple weekends ago, and my mother says I’m making lasagna. As I got off the phone swore at the top of my lungs ( NO JOKE!) Now you know
If you want the recipe for the Black cardamon long pepper rub (click here)
Making the mushroom sauce
- Slice or rough chop your mushrooms and onions
- Preheat your skillet and add your mushrooms with olive oil
- Once the mushrooms are getting a nice color, deglaze with coconut milk
- Add Black cardamon rub
- Bring to a boil
- Once it has come to a boil, add to your Vitamix or blender
- Pour back into the pan and let it reduce or you can leave it like that and be saucy up to you.
- Make sure you season with salt.
Cutting your veggies and cook them
- Preheat your oven at 435F (224C)
- With you knife slice your eggplant in half and then slice thin slices
- Grab a sheet pan and lay down a silk pad and coat with olive and season with rub, lay down the eggplant
- Put in the oven until soft (10 mins is enough)
- With your knife rough chop the goat horn peppers and set a side until needed
- Using a knife cut off the stem of the okra and then slice into strips long ways (shown on video)
- Strip corn and using a knife cut sides of the cob set aside until needed
- With you Vitamix blend your Macadamia nuts
Rolling the pasta
- Grab your pasta and coat it with gluten free flour
- Using a rolling pin, roll thinly like my video
- And rotate it every roll
- You might have to add flour, so it doesn’t stick. If you added too much, it became brittle
- Using your knife just cut into strips
- Then using your hands shake it up with some flour, so it doesn’t stick together set aside until needed
For layering the lasagna watch video at 06:47
Put in the oven
For 1 and a half hours. I would suggest cooking all the veggies before hand. I wanted to slap myself for not doing it. It would save so much time, it could of only took 30 mins to cook honestly.
- At the end put the Macadamia nut for a crust
Cook all your veggies before hand it took bloody forever to cook.
If you don’t want your pasta on the bottom layer to have a crust?
Just add water to the bottom and it will steam the rest of the layers because the water is trying to escape to the top
I’m rolling out the pasta, and it keeps breaking
Relax it’s fine, lay it down the best you can and if it breaks in half, still put it down.
Do I need to use coconut milk?
No, you don’t, you can use hemp milk instead or even do half and half of coconut milk and half hemp.
Do you I have to use Gluten free pasta for this recipe?
No, don’t you can use normal pasta that is totally fine!
I can’t find Okra… what should I do?
Okra tastes like green bananas. If you want that flavor get some banana leaves and cook with the mushroom sauce and remove it. When you are about to blend it otherwise if you are planning to change it to another veggie, use kohlrabi instead.
I can’t find goat horn peppers can I use something else?
Sure can! Just use any other pepper will be fine, if you don’ want it spicy then just use bell peppers, I will mention that I’ve them found that farmers markets, but everyone sells them.
Can I use bread crumbs instead of nuts?
Indeed, you can! I would make my own from whatever I have for bread I have in the house.
Do I have to use those mushrooms?
No, you don’t you can use whatever you like, I won’t hit you with a ruler =p or as Jimmy Kimmel does with a pool noodle.
Doing this for 25 to 1000 people
Ok, I will say this now, I’m so sorry you have to do this from scratch for 1000 people, my heart goes out to you!!!
Ok, this would require heaps of people to do this to help you out on this. I would never suggest doing this for a 1000 people in my entire career every place I have worked at gets lasagna from the same company and all I did was reheat it. I even did this at the four seasons hotel; you can’t get the labor to make this…
Making the dough a couple time and then putting on sheeter, it’s way too time consuming… Can it be done? Yes, it can but you will be pulling your hair out!!! Only because of the dough, but you couldn’t really put this dough on a sheeter, it’s way too brittle… to say the least
Reality is that I would suggest only doing this recipe for 100 people, and this is how I would do it and it’s not even pretty unless you have a casserole pot
- I would cut all the veggies the same up top unless you have a process slicer
- Roll out all the pasta exactly the same as shown on video, you can’t put on a sheet… sorry
What I would seriously do is use a different pasta like penne and cut all the same veggies and cook it in a tilt skillet. The flavor of this is really tasty, and this is what I would do.
- Boil some water. ( I do not add salt to my water, and I’ve told chef’s I added it in. Then they turn around and say yeah I can tell you add heaps of salt, don’t put so much next time as I roll my eyes every time…)
- Cook the penne pasta in the pot
- Do the same thing for the rest up above for cutting veggies
- Saute veggies in pan or tilt skillet and add water to it, and then add your mushroom sauce, so it doesn’t burn.
- Add the pasta, season and serve, garnishing with the nuts.