It’s always good to know how to do this and safety
As always something, you don’t know about me?
I’m overly obsessed with the Flash; I’m even part of its community in Google+ here is the link if interested. Its a great show you should check it out if you haven’t already.
Cutting squash can be unsafe if you don’t know what you are doing. Half of the time people don’t have a sharp knife that’s why in my video above I show with a serrated knife and a sharp chef knife.
What you simply do is this
- Cut the top and bottom off
- Now stand it up
- Putting your knife on the top and find your middle push down, and allow the knife to do the work
- Now with a spoon get rid of the seed
You have a couple option of cutting this
- With you knife Slicing it into moons very thinly
- Boom! Easy!
Strips and Dice
- Cut 2 to 3 inches long pieces and slice there or in half
- Flip over and slice like it is wedges, but into strips or called julienne (unsure look at video)
- Now if you are dicing, then from the strips line it up!
- Now dice with your knife!
If you want a recipe that I used delicata squash ( click here)
Did you know?
You don’t have to peel the delicata squash? You can eat it, it’s not like butternut squash
Can I roast this whole?
Sure can! Even leaving it whole while taking the seeds out, it will take 45 mins.
Can I fry delicata squash?
Yes, but I would roast first then scope all the squash in a bowl and add some breading, so it stays together
Can I Sear delicata squash?
I would do the same thing roast it then add breading, and spices and turn it into a cake. SQUASH CAKES!
Can you smoke delicata squash?
Sure can! Would be great as a finisher ( after roasted of course)
Can delicata squash be sous-vide?
Yes, but that’s going to take a very long time. There is no benefit to this well you can add flavor, but are you willing to wait hours or to break down?
Can delicata squash be boiled?
Yes, you can! Great for soup!
Can you braise or stew delicata squash?
Indeed, it’s will stay together and will be a great addition to your stews and braises
Doing this for 25 to 1000 people
I’ve had to cut 20 cases of these in 2 to 3 hours, and there is a hack to do this fast!
You have to follow what your body is naturally doing. This for right-handers when you cut it and done with it, your left hand is naturally trying to push it down somewhere instead of putting the knife down picking it up placing it some container.
This is what I do
- Have two milk crates on my left with a lexan on my left side
- I’ll have the case open on my right on the table
- slicing top and bottom also in half, and then I’ll push the squash into the lexan ( not seeded yet) because you’ll get faster at the same motion
- Once all are cut, lay the lexan on the table
- Have a bin on your right with spoon your hands will naturally feel comfortable
- Throw into the Lexan on your left with milk crates.