Trout 2 2/3 oz (75g)
Coconut milk 12floz (355ml) 1 can
Garbanzo bean 2.20oz (63g)
Soaking water 10floz (303ml) 1 cup and 1/4
Fig 5 1/3oz (151g) 5 ea
Goat horn pepper 1 2/3oz (45g) 2ea
Cipollini spring onion 3oz (84g) 1 ea
Corn 4oz (112g)
Thai Curry 1 1/2oz (42g)
Black cardamon rub 1/8oz (2g)
Quick note I was very surprised that this was high in fat, granted that yes coconut milk is fat, but it just didn’t click. FAT IS FLAVOR RIGHT? Oh, heck only live once right?!? Whatever It’s delicious…
Cooking Garbanzo bean(chickpeas)
- Preheat oven at 435F ( 224C)
- First you are going to soak your beans for a good 30 mins or night before
- Pour in a pot and bring to a boil
- Cook until soft, not crunchy
- Strain and set aside until needed
Doing the trout
- Portion out your trout, if you need too
Cutting the veggies
- Cut your goat horn peppers with your knife, just slice all the way to the stem and set aside until needed
- You know the drill wth the onion, with your knife slice tip and bottom and julienne
- With your figs, you are going to take off the top part of the stem and then slice into quarts, set aside 3 for every plate you do
- For corn, strip and slice into coins ( please if you don’t have a sharp knife use a bread knife)
- Grab your corn and coat with olive oil and place in the oven for 12 mins
Cooking the veggies and making sauce
- Preheat pan
- Add olive oil
- Add your onions and saute for a min then add your goat horn peppers
- Once you have enough color, you are going to deglaze with coconut milk
- Add your figs and thai curry paste in
- Make sure your curry paste dissolves and does not stick to the pan and burn.
- Now you can add your Garbanzo beans ( should be soft)
- Reduce until it’s warm peanut butter consistency or check video
Cooking the trout
- Preheat pan
- While you’re waiting, coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt
- Sear both sides and put in the oven for eight minutes
Can I make my own Thai curry paste?
You can, but will take heaps of time to do and staying at the stove consistency moving with a spatula
What if figs are not in season, can I use dry?
You can, but will be different and no longer refreshing, should be okay when you rehydrate them
What if I forgot to soak my Garbanzo Bean
No big deal, you can still cook it, the point is to save time cooking. It will take longer to cook since you didn’t soak them.
Can I soak my Garbanzo bean the night before?
Sure can! Put in a container with water and place in the fridge this will cut some of cooking time.
What if I can’t find or like trout can I use other fish?
I don’t like the skin on fish, do I have to do this?
You don’t have to, I normally don’t get the skin on, I just love the color it gives when cooked.
I keep going to the store any no one knows what goat peppers are… What do I do?
You can use any other spicy chili as you please. Most people won’t know what you are talking about unless you go to the farmer’s market. It’s not a common thing.
Are goat horn peppers spicy?
It’s random. When I made it for this, not at all and for another dish I was coughing because it was so spicy and let me tell you my grandfather would put ghost chilis on my steak
Getting trout, should I do break it down myself?
It’s up to you. I usually debone my fish since it’s cheaper, I would suggest just asking your fish guy to do it. Honestly, if you don’t want to clean the mess.
Doing this for a 25 to 1000 people
Honestly, this would be the same process just with bigger pans and pots. The only suggestion I would mention is, don’t have the skin on the trout. It can be very in-consistent when cooking for a high number of people unless you have a person cooking the trout by batches. Some will have a nice crisp skin others will not.
You don’t want to do this for a large number of people if, you are the host and need to have fun but busy in the kitchen the whole time; that’s my 2 cents. (If you wish to know a deeper breakdown of a plate up click here and scroll to the bottom)