Trout 3 2/3oz (105g)
Meyer Lemon 3 1/2oz (97g) 1 ea +zest
Black Lentils 2 3/4oz (80g)
Baby Kale 1 1/3oz(4g) handful
Tomato golden 5 2/3oz (161g) 1ea
Caraway 1/8oz (2g)
Cinnamon stick 1ea
Fish bones 17 1/4 (490g)
Champagne vinegar 3 1/2oz (100g)
Dried Apricot 3 2/3oz(105g) 1 handful
Red Plum 6 1/4oz (177g) 1 ea
I decided to add something new so you guys can get to know me more. One thing you probably don’t know about me is I’m a big star wars geek. I am part of communities online, I usually hang out and watch Dash Star often to have discussions. Here is his youtube account (click here) if you don’t believe me his real name is Mitch.
Making fish stock
- Grab yourself a pot and add your bone to the pot
- Add cold water to the bones until it passes the bones.
- Turn on your stove on high heat to bring to a boil
- Once it comes to a boil, let it stay there for 15 mins and then strain it over the sink.
- Put the now stock back in the pan after straining and bring to a simmer.
- You will use this for deglazing the pan for veggies for later so set aside.
Cutting the tomato
- using your knife take out the core
- then slice
- cut into strips
- Now dice it and set aside until later
Making the Red plum chutney
- First with your knife you are going to slice in half and de-pit the plum and chop into small pieces and set aside until needed.
- With your dried apricot, slice into julienne set aside until needed
- Grab yourself a pot and add all the ingredients and bring to a boil on high heat.
- Once it has come to boil, turn down the heat to medium, so it doesn’t burn
- it should be done when it has become thick, and pectin from the fruit has bound it together
- (Look at video for consistency )
- Pull to the side and let this be at room temp
Making the black lentils
- Grab a pot and pour in lentils with water (1 part lentil 2 part water)
- Bring to a boil and have your stove at high heat
- Add lemon juice and zest
- Caraway seeds and cinnamon stick
- Once black lentils are almost soft, pull off and set aside and cover with lid.
Making the trout
- Preheat skillet at high heat
- While this happening coat trout with olive oil and salt
- Sear on skin side
- Wait for the sizzling sound to slow down then flip for a quick sear
- pull off and lay down the trout on a sheet pan with a rack
- Put in the oven at 435F (224C) Cook this for 8 mins
While fish is in the oven
- Reuse that pan and deglaze with the fish stock.
- Let the stock reduce
- add your golden tomato and pour in the lentils
- take out the cinnamon stick
- stir so it gathers all the flavor
- add kale at the end
- If there is extra juice, just reduce until nothing is left.
- Fish should be done
- Time to plate
About cutting for the Chutney
The smaller the pieces of the fruit for the chutney, the quicker it cooks and releases the sugars of the product
Do I need to use fish bones?
No, you can use fish base or fish broth, I would suggest fish base honestly
Do I have to use white vinegar?
Nope, you don’t, you can use any vinegar you would like.
If I don’t have caraway can I use something else?
Sure! You can use Cumin, anise seeds or fennel seeds
Can I use other lentils other than black?
Sure can! Whatever lentils you feel may be best
Meyer lemon what the heck is that and do I have to use it?
It’s a very tasty lemon, and the zest of this lemon is great in baking and salads, etc. You don’t have to use it can be pricey for them, I usually buy them in a bag of 6.
Golden tomatoes I can’t find that can I use red tomatoes?
Yes, you can! I don’t see why not; just the color will show
I can’t find Red plums… Can I use something else?
Use dried prunes those are plums that have been dried.
I’m vegan/vegetarian what would you suggest for a protein
My vegan or vegetarian friends, I would use Fishless Filets, or tempeh and cook it with the chutney heck I would double the recipe of the chutney.
Cooking this for 25 to 1000 people
Ok let me say this, you will have to change a lot to do this. First off, don’t bother doing it with the skin unless you are just doing this for a few people. Because the skin will not be as crispy if you are going to sear it and set aside, then fire in the oven hours later.
There is more control that way to cook lentils in the oven, the higher numbers you reach.
Doing this for 25 people
- Do the chutney the same above just in a bigger pan
- Fish make sure you ask your butcher to remove the skin and sear in pan and set aside in fridge until needed
- Cook fish in the oven at 240F (116C) You want to bring this up gentle and slowly should take about 30 to 40 mins to cook from being in the cooler.
- For the lentils, an easy way is to put it in a casserole with 1 part lentils and 2 part water and cook it in the oven at 375 for 40 mins. (with fan) make sure you cover with lid or fold
Doing this for 1000 people
Same process for the 25 people just the only thing I would do differently put the lentils in a hotel pan. A 6-inch hotel pan is about 100 people so you would have to do ten hotel pans.
Question for you
Do you feel that those red plums should seriously be called something else?! I mean it’s bloody yellow inside, Just saying.